Ok, ok; I know this doesn’t actually require any baking, but I couldn’t resist this because I absolutely love anything lemon! (Except lemon lollipops; not crazy.) 🙁 I found this recipe as I was grocery shopping the other day. There was a display for Rice Chex in the store aisle, and included in the display was a free recipe card for this hard-to-resist bowl of lemon munchies. I saw the word “lemon” and stopped in my tracks. I grabbed the recipe card, a box of Rice Chex, a couple of lemons, and a bag of white vanilla baking chips and headed home to make these right away!
It’s one of the fastest, easiest snacks you’ll ever make. If you ever need a last minute goodie to bring to a party, this would be the perfect choice!
The recipe calls for fresh lemon juice and lemon zest, which, when combined with the powdered sugar, gives it a bright, sweet-tart flavor. (I used a little more lemon juice than the recipe calls for; I like to pucker up!) It also calls for butter or margarine (make mine butter, please). 🙂
This would be an easy to make, sweet treat for a Labor day get-together! It’s so simple and fun, even the littlest kids can help make it!
Fresh lemons combine with powdered sugar to give these munchies a bright, sweet-tart flavor!
- 9 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1 1/4 cups white vanilla baking chips
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Into large bowl, measure cereal.
- In 1-quart microwave bowl, microwave chips, butter, lemon peel and juice uncovered on High 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into 2-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag.
- Add powdered sugar. Seal bag; gently shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper or foil to cool. Store in airtight container.